The theology of 'planting'

Re: The theology of 'planting'

Post by guest »

The question about planting is very important. Some might doubt and think we're overreacting when we say that the BCF theology insists you must stay or risk losing your salvation. I'm sure many who attend BCF do not believe this, but the theology is deeply ingrained in the culture.

For example, look at the dedication statement, especially the last two sentences.

“Today we dedicate [name] to the Lord in the presence of the general assembly and the Church of the firstborn. We are yielding [name] to the Lord in obedience to the command He has given His covenant people; “Consecrate to me all the firstborn. It is Mine”. We are the children of Abraham and recipients of the blessing that was promised to Abraham and his seed. For this reason, we rejoice that our [son/daughter] is part of the body of Christ, the firstborn. We acknowledge that our adequacy for the care of [name] is found in the fellowship of Christ’s offering and sufferings, through which we remain joined through our participation in this communion table. We are committing [name] to the training and admonition of the Lord by the grace of life we receive in this fellowship.”

Does the second last sentence leave room for parents to be “adequate for the care” of their child if they move to a church other than BCF? I.e. "this communion table"? At best, the statement is ambiguous (a phenomenon that BCFers are constantly grappling with). At worst, this is a cultish statement designed to create an ungodly fear in the parents who are reading this out in front of the whole congregation. If you take that statement literally, it says they are no longer connected to Christ if they leave BCF. I would say that’s simply a heresy.
Bagel

Post by Bagel »

Hello fellow travellers on this streetcar,

There are some great and helpful words written in much of this forum, and in particular, this thread.

If I can add some of my own…..

Some of us were never born to be ‘planted’ anywhere except where we personally and intrinsically need to be. To hand that responsibility of where we need to be to someone else may possibly be slowing down your personal spiritual journey and growth.

And it’s worth keeping in mind that xCF (and cults) have a way of sniffing out people who have an inkling of independence, or their own thinking. And these people will suffer. Some now bear longtime scars and bitterness.

It’s never too late to believe in your own destiny, even if you can’t fully articulate it. And it might start with, ‘I’m not completely certain where I’m going but it sure isn’t working being here’.

Just saying.

Bagel
Bagel

Post by Bagel »

Hello fellow travellers on this streetcar,

There are some great and helpful words written in much of this forum, and in particular, this thread.

If I can add some of my own…..

Some of us were never born to be ‘planted’ anywhere except where we personally and intrinsically need to be. To hand that responsibility of where we need to be to someone else may possibly be slowing down your personal spiritual journey and growth.

And it’s worth keeping in mind that xCF (and cults) have a way of sniffing out people who have an inkling of independence, or their own thinking. And these people will suffer. Some now bear longtime scars and bitterness.

It’s never too late to believe in your own destiny, even if you can’t fully articulate it. And it might start with, ‘I’m not completely certain where I’m going but it sure isn’t working being here’.

Just saying.

Bagel
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

Spot on Bagel! So very glad to see your post. I miss reading your insightful posts, and really hope to hear more from you (and Boundry Rider,Gillie, Wendy, et al on this forum.

Post by guest »

For this reason, we rejoice that our [son/daughter] is part of the body of Christ, the firstborn. We acknowledge that our adequacy for the care of [name] is found in the fellowship of Christ’s offering and sufferings, through which we remain joined through our participation in this communion table. We are committing [name] to the training and admonition of the Lord by the grace of life we receive in this fellowship.”

“…..through which we remain joined through our participation in this communion table.”

Question:

Has the dedication service been changed to:

“….. through which we remain joined through our participation in the agape meal?”

Post by guest »

I wondered the same thing, but it seems there have been dedications using this wording after the ‘agape meal’ had been introduced. I think it’s because they would describe all who are part of the ‘agape meal’, as ones who are a part of ‘this communion table’.

It’s my understanding that the general thinking was that other denominations treat the communion as a ‘sacramental’ practice. And of course, ‘sacramental’ is a dirty word in CF theology. VH has thrown out all the church fathers from the 1st and 2nd centuries as apostate. Therefore, all the ways the church fathers described communion are also ‘sacramental’, and lead people astray.

I personally think the reasons presented are smoke and mirrors. At the end of the day, they got rid of the communion, which is a huge red flag. And with respect to the dedication statement, the flowery language coupled with ambiguity remains. Another red flag.

Post by guest »

Colossians 2:7 AMPC

“Have the roots [of your being] firmly and deeply planted [in Him, fixed and founded in Him], being continually built up in Him, becoming increasingly more confirmed and established in the faith, just as you were taught, and abounding and overflowing in it with thanksgiving”.

I have appreciated reading this thread. I’m praying for the ex-BCF life-long member who has left. Thank the Lord you’ve been delivered to live the rest of your life in freedom.

Take your time. Your journey is yours but God has promised to never leave you or forsake you!

Being firmly and deeply planted in Jesus who is the way, the truth and the life will ensure you grow and heal and be a blessing to many.

Col 2:7 is a great focus for all of us who have been kicked out, left under duress or left broken and wounded. It’s His love that delivers us from everything harmful. Bless you, be at peace and be courageous.
Stargazer

Post by Stargazer »

“Col 2:7 is a great focus for all of us who have been kicked out”….Can I just ask the question for all BCF people or XCF…When people were told they are kicked out(or whatever term they’d use), who and what words and actions are used for this to occur?